Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is DELICIOUS. Great for a Christmas Cake. I found this cookbook at a second hand store, and it was my 3 1/2 year old sons first cookbook. It's called "Fun To Cook Book" from 1978.
- 1⁄3 cup undiluted Carnation Evaporated Milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Mix carnation with peppermint extract and salt in medium-sized bowl. Add the confectioners' sugar (you may call it "powdered" sugar). Blend them together with a wooden spoon until smooth.
- When icing is smooth, add softened butter and stir well.
- When cake layers have cooled about 2hours, put bottom layer on plate. Put about 1/2 cup icing on layer. Spread with a spatula.
- Put second cake layer on top. Spread icing around sides of cake. Frost the top of the cake last. Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy on top of cake.
It was a cloudy, rainy day and I had a bunch of candy canes in the cupboard so I made this to go on a white cake and we ate it and then drank hot cocoa. Christmas in August... delicious!