Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A Christmas tradition at our house. My kids talk about helping me make these all year. To make cookies in the shape of a Christmas Tree, you will need a cookie press. You can also roll out the dough and use a Christmas Tree shaped cookie cutter. The candy cane filling is what makes this cookie special. This recipe makes 2 dozen sandwich style cookies. (The dough should be enough to make 4 dozen individual cookies.)
COOKIE DOUGH INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- green food coloring
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely crushed candy canes or 2 tablespoons peppermint candies
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- FOR COOKIE DOUGH:.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter. Gradually add sugar. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and almond extract.
- Gradually blend in flour.
- Add green food coloring.
- Fill cookie press with dough and use the tree plate. Form onto baking sheet.
- Bake 8-10 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- FOR FILLING:.
- Combine filling ingredients (except for milk).
- Stir in only enough milk to make filling a spreadable consistency.
- Spread by hand or use a decorator's bag. Spread 1 teaspoon of filling on the cookie's flat side. Top with another cookie.