Recipe by JanetSmith154
This recipe, along with the cookies, was given to my family when I was 13, I'm now 34 - I've made these cookies every year since that 7th grade Christmas! These are crispy and fantastic! Please DON'T use imitation vanilla - that's just NOT natural!
Top Review by Madrek3
These were great! I was a little concerned that they would be too crisp for my family (they all like chewy cookies) but the texture of these cookies was wonderful. They just melt in your mouth. After baking, the crushed peppermints looked like pink dust on the cookies-so pretty and Christmasy. Also, the peppermint flavor wasn't too over powering. Thanks for sharing! I'll be adding these to my Christmas baking every year.
- 236.59 ml butter, softened
- 236.59 ml powdered sugar
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 314.66 ml all-purpose flour, unsifted
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 2.46 ml salt
- 177.44 ml peppermint candy, crushed and divided
- 118.29 ml powdered sugar, for rolling
Directions See How It's Made
- Oven 325.
- Beat together butter and powdered sugar until creamy.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add flour, oats and salt.
- Combine well.
- Stir in 1/4 cup crushed candy canes.
- Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of the dough in the 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Place balls about 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Flatten with a fork in a criss-cross pattern and sprinkle cookies with about 1/4 tsp of remaining crushed candy canes.
- Bake at 325 for 18-20 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are SLIGHTLY brown.
- Let cookies cool on the pan for about 2 minutes, and then transfer to a rack to cool.