Prep 3 mins
Cook 12 mins
I remember making these as a little girl with my mom and grandmother. This is Sandra Lee's recipe from foodnetwork.com - so simple, but ohhh so good. Caution: they are addictive! :)
- 496.11 g box sugar cookie mix
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 78.07 ml cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour, plus additional for surface
- red food coloring
- 7.39 ml peppermint extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine sugar cookie mix, melted butter, egg, cream cheese, and flour; mix together to form dough. Separate dough into 2 equal portions and place in 2 different bowls.
- Add red food coloring gradually to 1 bowl of dough, kneading together until desired shade of red is created.
- To second bowl of uncolored dough, add peppermint extract and knead together.
- On a floured work surface, shape each dough into balls and then roll each ball into 1/4-inch-wide ropes, each about 6 inches long.
- For each cookie, carefully twist some of the red and white ropes of dough together and shape into a candy cane. Spread candy canes out on cookie sheets and bake on the top shelf of the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool before serving.
Just saw I forgot to review this.
Great Recipe and fun to make both the cookies & the special memories.
Thanks for posting this one !
What a special fun recipe to make with the little ones!
They love these and we made memories as well.
Thanks for posting this.