Prep 1 hr
Cook 20 mins
Mom made these every Christmas and I do the same for my kids.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup peppermint candy cane, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine butter, confectioner's sugar, egg, almond extract and vanilla and beat until smooth. Mix in flour and salt.
- Divide dough in half and dye one half red.
- Roll into 4" strips and place a red and a white strip next to each other and twist them together like a candy cane. Place baking sheet. Curve top down to form a handle of cane.
- Bake in preheated oven for 9-10 minutes. Mix together crushed candies and sugar. While still warm, remove from cookie sheet and sprinkle with candy mixture.