Recipe by springsoaker
Cute holiday cookie that has been in my family for years. Dough can be chilled overnight for convenience. Tricks to creating the candy cane - as you begin to twist lay bottom of cane onto cookie sheet, gently twist as you lay dough onto sheet. Hardest part is the curve as if the strips are to thin, curve tends to break.
- 1 cup oleo, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar, measured then sifted
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, measured then sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- peppermint candy, crushed (optional)
- unbleached cane sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Mix oleo, egg, almond extract, vanilla and powdered sugar together.
- In separate bowl, combine flour & salt. Slowly add to creamed mixture.
- Divide dough add red food coloring to one half.
- Take 1 tsp of each color. Roll each into 4 1/2 inch strips. Lay next to each other, roll once or twice to "attach". Gently twist and form into candy cane shape.
- Lay on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
- Optional: after removed from oven, sprinkle with mixture of equal parts crushed peppermints and sugar.