Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Great holiday treat for Santa!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond flavoring or 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Mix butter sugar, egg, and flavorings thoroughly. Add flour and salt; mix well.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap; chill for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 4 inch strips; place on baking sheet. Curve top down to form handle or cane.
- Bake 9 minutes. While still warm, remove from pan and sprinkle with candy and sugar mixture.
- Dough may be divided in half and colored with 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring if desired. Roll each color into strips, place side by side, press together lightly and twist like a rope.