Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 mins
From a recipe book I found buried in my room.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond flavoring or 3⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 375º. Mix butter, sugar, egg and flavorings throughly.
- Add flour and salt, mix well.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap; chill for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll into 4 inch strips; place on baking sheet. Curve top down to form a handle or cane.
- Bake 9 minutes. While still warm, remove from pan and sprinkle with candy and sugar mixture.
- Dough may be divided in half and colored with 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring if desired. Roll each color into strips, place side-by-side, press together lightly and twist like a rope.