Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my children's favorite cookie, or almost favorite cookie, at Christmas. They love them all.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, lemon rind, and vanilla.
- Add the milk alternately with the dry ingredients.
- Put one-half of the dough in a medium bowl and add a few drops of red food coloring till color desired; leave the other white.
- Roll strips, one of each color, the size of a pencil and about 5" long.
- Put them side by side.
- Pinch together and twist into a rope and shape into a candy cane.
- Place 1" apart on ungreased sheet.
- Bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
Ultimate Christmas Cookie enough said :O)
What's Christmas without Candy Cane Cookies??? I just had to make them for my Christmas tins. The kids especially are going to go for these! They are cute and tasty!