Recipe by Olha
These are fun to make. These daintily shaped treats will look very pretty on your cookie tray. Coconut dough and peppermint dough twisted together and shaped into candy cane cookies.
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1⁄3 cup finely pulverized coconut (See Note)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Cover 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and beat until light. Add the flour until a smooth dough forms. Divide the dough into 2 parts. Add the vanilla or coconut extract and the pulverized coconut to 1 part and mix well. Add the peppermint extract and a few drops of red food color to the other half.
- Working with a small amount of each batch at a time, roll the dough into 1/4 inch wide strips, trimming to even the sides. Cut the strips into 3 inch lengths and twist a red strand with a white strand for each cookie. Place on the parchment covered baking sheet and shape into candy canes; place about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until just barely brown. Slide the parchment paper off the cookie sheet onto a wire rack to cool.
- Makes 5 dozen cookies.
- NOTE: To pulverize the coconut, put it into a blender or food processor and run the motor until the coconut is very fine.
- Beatrice Ojakangas’ Great Holiday Baking Book.