Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Christmas Favorite Candy Cane shaped cookies
- 1 cup shortening (half butter or margarine)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix shortening, confectioners' sugar, egg and flavorings thoroughly.
- Measure flour by dipping method or sifting.
- Mix flour and salt; stir into shortening mixture.
- Divide dough in half.
- Blend food coloring into one half.
- Roll a 4" strip (using 1 tsp dough) from each color.
- For smooth even strips roll them back and forth on a lightly floured surface.
- Place strips side by side, press lightly together and twist like a rope. For best results, complete cookies one at a time. If all the dough of one color is shaped first, strips become too dry to twist.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Curve top to form handle of cane.
- Bake about 9 minutes until lightly browned.
- While still warm, remove from baking sheet with spatula and sprinkle with sugar.