Recipe by Charlotte J
The peppermint/sugar mixture on top of these cookies are a nice finishing touch.
Top Review by Bev
I have been making these delightful cookies for my family for the past 30 years. I believe I orignally found this recipe in the Betty Crocker Recipe Cookbook. Once you have made these cookies for your little ones, they will become an instant tradition in your home too. As any good recipe may be, a little time consuming. but definiately worth the effort!
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄2 cup crushed peppermint candy
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the crushed peppermint candy and granulated sugar together and set aside.
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg and flavorings together.
- Add flour and salt and mix.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add food coloring to one half and mix well.
- Make one cookie at a time by: Rolling a 4" strip (use about 1 tsp of dough) from each color.
- Place strips side-by-side, press lightly together and twist like a rope.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Curve top down to form handle of the cane.
- Bake about 9 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet.
- While still warm sprinkle with the candy/sugar mixture.