Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Butter Flavor Crisco (or 1 Butter Flavor Crisco Stick)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup light corn syrup or 1⁄4 cup regular pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Combine sugar and Butter Flavor Crisco in a large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs, syrup and vanilla.
- Beat until well blended and fluffy.
- Combine 3 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add gradually to creamed mixture at low speed.
- Mix until well blended.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add red food color and peppermint extract to one half.
- Wrap each half in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375ºF.
- Place sheets of foil on countertop for cooling cookies.
- Roll 1 rounded teaspoonful of plain dough with hands into a 6-inch rope on lightly floured surface.
- Repeat, using 1 teaspoonful red dough.
- Place ropes side by side.
- Twist together gently.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Curve one end into the"hook" of a candy cane.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheet with large pancake turner.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place cookies 2 inches apart.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time at 375ºF for 7 to 9 minutes, or until just lightly browned.
- Do not overbake.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet.
- Remove cookies to foil to cool completely.
I have to give a little mixed review on this. The flavor of these is just awesome. Very, very delicious, and different! Hubby absolutely devoured them, and wants me to make then again right away....BUT....first of all, it took me ALOT longer than the time indicated to prepare these...it took me well over 1 hour, just to roll the balls, then roll them into ropes...(could be I am just slow). Secondly, as they were baking, they swelled up so huge, that they seem to just become one funny-looking cookie...think I got 7 perfectly shaped candy canes out of the bunch....but...nothing at all wrong with the taste of them. I don`t think, really, that the effort is woth the results for me, as I was a little dissapointed I didn`t get more canes. Thanks for sharing!