Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
From Taste of Home, Recipe Finder. Sounds yummy and eye catching!
Make and share this Candy Cane Coffee Cakes recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water (110 to 115)
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (110 to 115)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 7 -7 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 -4 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄4 cup chopped hazelnuts
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water and milk. Add eggs, sugar, butter, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a grease bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- For filling, combine nuts, brown sugar, raisins and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down and divide into fourths. Roll one portion into a 12-in. x 7-in. rectangle. Brush with some butter; sprinkle with 2/3 cup filling. Roll up, jelly roll-style, staring with a long side; pinch to seal. Place on a greased baking sheet; shape top to form a cane. Repeat with remaining dough, filling and butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 35 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- Combine the first five glaze ingredients; drizzle stripes over loaves. Sprinkle with nuts. Yield: 4 loaves.
Really good! Filling is delicious. We had company and I was looking for something yummy for breakfast. Since Christmas was over, I just made a loaf instead of a cane. Thanks, CGMOM!
I've been making these coffee cakes for several years now and they are really good. They aren't really that difficult and they turn out delicious. They are good during the holidays, but I like to make them any time throughout the year.