Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are fantastic during the holidays and also make a wonderful gift!
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed dark muscovado sugar or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup coarsely crushed candy cane
- Position the oven racks in the top third and center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. In a large bowl, beat the butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar with an electric mixer set on high speed until combined, about 1 minute. One at a time, beat in the eggs, followed by the vanilla and water. With the mixer on low speed, mix in flour mixture, just until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips and crushed candy canes.
- Using 2 T. per cookie, drop the dough 3 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets. (Or use a 1-oz. food portion scoop to scoop the dough onto the baking sheets.).
- Bake, rotating the positions of the sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through baking, until the cookies are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire cooling racks and let cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough, on cooled baking sheets.