Prep 1 hr
Cook 18 mins
Very soft dough. Easier than it sounds and well worth it!
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups flour
- 1 can pie filling
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 3 drops almond extract
- Heat sour cream over low heat until lukewarm.
- Put yeast in warm water.
- Add to sour cream.
- Add butter, sugar, salt, eggs, and 2 cups flour.
- Mix until smooth.
- Add remaining flour, enough so dough is easy to handle.
- Knead until smooth, about 10 min.
- Place in greased bowl, cover, let rise until double.
- Punch down and divide into 3 parts.
- Roll each into rectangle 15"x6".
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Make 2" cuts at 1/2" intervals on both long sides of rectangle.
- Divide filling into 3 parts and spread onto dough.
- Criss cross strips over filling and stretch dough to form curve of cane.
- Bake 15 to 20 min.
- at 375.
- Drizzle with icing.