Recipe by Nell Majeran
I found this in my mothers recipe card box. I have never tried it, but it sounds good. I'm sure it would be great for Christmas breakast with coffee or cocoa. Get the kids to help with the twisting and decorating.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped peanuts
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Powdered sugar icing
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- red decorating icing (optional) or green decorating icing (optional)
- crushed peppermint candy (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in the butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add nuts.
- Mix egg and milk. Stir into dry mixture just till moistened.
- On a lightly floured surface, pat dough to a 10 x 7-inch rectangle, 1/2 inch thick. Cut crosswise into 1-inch strips. Twist each strip by holding both ends. Bend 1 end to form a candy cane.
- Place several inches apart on greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes or till light brown.
- Carefully transfer to rack. Cool. Coat each cane with powdered Sugar Icing. Decorate, using decorator icing, cinnamon candies, or peppermint candies as desired. Makes 10.
- Powdered Sugar Icing: In bowl combine 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and enough milk to make of drizzling consistency.