Recipe by Desree42
This recipe makes 12 12-ounce gift jars, plus a bonus of 3 to 4 cups extra bath salts (you could use them for stocking stuffers...but I always have to 'test' mine). You can use a large stand mixer (like a KitchenAid) to mix the salts. You could use a different essential oil/essence. One of my favorites is to make a strawberries & cream jar. Use Strawberry essence/essential oil and red dye (I still make the layers). I'll then attach a tube of facial cream to the jar lid. One year I dehydrated some thinly sliced strawberries and scattered them among the layers--that came out beautifully!
Top Review by HotPepperRosemaryJelly
This is a great idea! I think I will use some grape juice or strawberry juice to color and I dehydrate strawberry slices so that would be great to add! I love all these wonderful ideas! Thank you, thank you! And I am thinking sea salt!?! What do you think? Maybe with some dried mint or rose petals! Where do you buy your essential oils? I like to shop around! Jelly
- 2 (4 lb) cartons epsom salts (approximately 16 cups)
- 4 lbs sea salt (approximately 6 cups) or 4 lbs kosher salt (approximately 6 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon glycerin, divided
- 12 -15 drops peppermint oil
- 12 -15 drops red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: 12 mason jars with lids and rings and 3 pieces cardstock (for tags).
- Start with clean and *dry* mason jars.
- Empty one carton Epsom Salts into large mixing bowl or batter bowl.
- Add 3 cups of the sea/kosher salt and stir well.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon glycerin and 6 to 8 drops essential oil.
- Mix well.
- In second large mixing bowl, the other carton of Epsom Salts, and the remaining 3 cups sea/kosher salt.
- Stir well.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon glycerin, 6 to 8 drops essential oil, and food color.
- Stir until completely blended.
- Color should be reasonably even.
- Holding canning jars at an angle, layer salts in jars, alternating white and colored mixtures.
- Make up three labels for your candy cane bath salts and attach to the jars.
- Trim the jars with ribbon, fabric whatever.