Recipe by CJAY
This recipe is from Susan Brzozowski, Ellicot City, Maryland.
Top Review by Muffin Goddess
Lovely fudge! Kind of funny (embarassing, but funny): I had made the cocoa/butter mixture, pulled it from the microwave, and for some reason hadn't mentally processed that I still needed to add powdered sugar and vanilla to it. I had read the recipe, but my brain just skipped over that part for some reason. Well, I stirred the cooked cocoa mixture, but it wasn't coming together (it was grainy and the butter was pooling out of it). Not even thinking of re-reading the recipe before panicking, I put the cocoa mixture down the disposal and started over again -- I thought maybe I had overcooked the first batch or something. Sooo, I measure out the cocoa, butter, etc and pop it back into the microwave. Only then did I go and reread the recipe and process that it was totally okay that the cocoa mixture was so thin and grainy when it came out of the microwave, since I still needed to add powdered sugar to it. I had thrown away the first batch of cocoa mixture for nothing, DOH! I think I was overtired or something, lol. Anyway, the second batch made it to fruition, and came out perfectly. I didn't have the full 2 cups of peanuts, but I added about 1 1/2 cups, which was fine. The only problem I had was that I preferred the flavor of the room temp fudge over the chilled fudge, but some of the caramel leaked out at room temp (NOT that it was such a terrible problem to have -- oh no, loose caramel!). It just made eating a bit more messy than it was when chilled. Messy or not, it was delicious fudge. Very rich, but what fudge recipe isn't? Thanks for posting! Made for PAC Spring 2013
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 30 caramel candies, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups unsalted peanuts
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave on high for 3 minutes or until mixture boils, stirring after one minute. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla; pour into a buttered 8x8" baking dish and set aside.
- Heat caramels and water in another microwave-safe bowl on high 2 minutes or until melted, stirring after 1 minute; stir in peanuts. Spread over chocolate mixture; set aside.
- Microwave chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl on high 1 minute, stirring until melted. Pour evenly over caramel layer. Refrigerate until firm. Cut into squares.