Recipe by Sue Lau
These have the old-fashioned red coating I used to get when I was a child. They don't have the cinnamon flavor, but a delightful candied flavor that hints of clove and apple.
- 8 -10 medium apples (Red Delicious, Jonathans, Winesaps, McIntosh, etc.)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- 2 -3 drops clove oil (optional)
- 8 -10 popcicle sticks
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Wash and dry apples and bring to room temp.
- Insert a popcicle stick into the stem end of each apple.
- In a heavy saucepan, mix together sugar, water, corn syrup, and food coloring; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cook gently without stirring until mixture reaches 290F on a candy thermometer.
- Stir in clove oil.
- Quickly dip apples into mixture, spinning around to ensure full coverage.
- Set on cookie sheet to cool.
- Pour leftover coating onto buttered baking sheet to harden into candy and break into brittle when cool; if you have lollipop sticks, pour into circles over these.