Recipe by Marie
This is a very unique muffin recipe that has diced apples, applesauce and red hot cinnamon candies in it with a streusel topping. These are yummy!
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup diced unsalted butter, cold
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 granny smith apple, unpeeled and diced (1-1/2 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup red-hot candies
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line 16 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- In large bowl, combine flour and brown sugar; mix with fingers to break up sugar lumps.
- In separate small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the flour mixture with 2-1/2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Mix with fingers until crumbly and set aside to use as streusel topping.
- Melt remaining butter in small pan over low heat.
- Cool slightly, then whisk in applesauce and eggs.
- To flour mixture remaining in large bowl, stir in baking soda, nutmeg and salt.
- Add diced apple, then butter-applesauce mixture; stir until dry ingredients are almost combined.
- Add cinnamon candies and stir lightly; do not overmix.
- Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle muffins with streusel topping.
- Bake 18 minutes or until browned and tops spring back when lightly pressed.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.