- 8 large yams or 8 large sweet potatoes
- 2 cups dark brown sugar
- 3 cups orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and quarter the yams or sweet potatoes.
- Place all of the ingredients into a large pot and cook the potatoes on top of the stove over medium heat and stirring every so often until potatoes are soft.
- Also, don’t be afraid of adding more brown sugar and/or orange juice if needed. The ingredients need to cover the potatoes.