Recipe by Annacia
Small amount of margarine and orange juice give these yams lots of flavor but little fat.
Top Review by I'mPat
Scaled this back for 2 serves (the DM and I) and as we don't get Splenda brown sugar blend I used a tablespoon of brown sugar, unfortunately a gremlin had been in the fridge and eaten all the oranges so couldn't add the zest which I think would have made all the difference and defrosted some freshly squeezed orange juice I had frozen but think less may have been better as it was swimming in it, thank you Annacia, will try again with zest and less juice, made for Everyday A Holiday.
- 3 yams (enough to yield 3 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda brown sugar blend, packed
- 2 teaspoons flour, sifted
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 teaspoon orange peel
- 2 teaspoons soft tub margarine
- 1 cup orange juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut yams in half and boil until tender but firm (about 20 minutes).
- When cool enough to handle, peel and slice into 1/4-inch thickness.
- Combine sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and grated orange peel.
- Place half of the sliced yams in a medium-sized casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with spiced sugar mixture.
- Dot lightly with half the amount of margarine.
- Add a second layer of yams, using the rest of the ingredients in the same order as above. Add orange juice.
- Bake uncovered in oven preheated to 350° F for 30 minutes or until cooked through.