This is a candied yams recipe with a twist.
Make and share this Candied Yams and Apple recipe from Food.com.
- Peel, slice and boil yams for about 1/2 hour.
- Drain and reserve 1 1/2 cups liquid. Bring liquid to a boil, add sugar, cane syrup, spices, brandy and lemon.
- Reduce heat and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add fruits and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add corn starch dissolved in a little water, cook for 10 minutes.
- Place yams in a baking dish and poor syrup over them.
- Bake until bubbling.
- Top with marshmallows, if desired, about 5 minutes before removing from oven.
- Sprinkle with pecans after removing from oven.
We made this dish for Thanksgiving and it was amazing! I was unable to find the cane syrup at local grocery store, so we used maple syrup instead. Also, we used the orange juice instead of the lemon. My family now has a new holiday yam dish!
We enjoyed this dish for Thanksgiving. It really had a great flavor. I think 1/2 a lemon was a bit too much as the lemon was almost overpowering. Next time I make this I will use the juice of half an orange instead. I will also add more brandy. The cane syrup really made this dish wonderful and I am glad I am now a proud owner of a can! I used both optional ingredients, pecans and marshmallows. Thanks islandgirl!
My boyfriend made it for thanksgiving, and it was the best side we had!