Recipe by islandgirl77551
This is a candied yams recipe with a twist.
Top Review by ashleigh_k
We made this dish for Thanksgiving and it was amazing! I was unable to find the cane syrup at local grocery store, so we used maple syrup instead. Also, we used the orange juice instead of the lemon. My family now has a new holiday yam dish!
- 4 medium yams
- 1 granny smith apple (peeled and chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cane syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 fluid ounce brandy
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup pecans (chopped)
- 8 ounces marshmallows (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel, slice and boil yams for about 1/2 hour.
- Drain and reserve 1 1/2 cups liquid. Bring liquid to a boil, add sugar, cane syrup, spices, brandy and lemon.
- Reduce heat and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add fruits and simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add corn starch dissolved in a little water, cook for 10 minutes.
- Place yams in a baking dish and poor syrup over them.
- Bake until bubbling.
- Top with marshmallows, if desired, about 5 minutes before removing from oven.
- Sprinkle with pecans after removing from oven.