Recipe by Heather'sKitchen
The solution to those yummy leftover candied yams! I don't measure when I make candied yams so sometimes the leftovers have more liquid. If there is some liquid in the candied yams, I use that in place of some of the milk, making sure I get 1/2 cup of total liquid. If the liquid drained from the candied yams looks particularly buttery, I use it in place of some of the butter, making sure to get 1/2 cup total for the fat measurement. If there isn't much liquid I just use the measurements stated in the recipe. This makes a yummy bread!
Top Review by Lee from New Mexico
Came accross this recipe while just "surfing" Zaar. Looked intresting and remembered I had a left over can of yams in the pantry from last year and thought why not. Soooo very glad I did, it's so good, I now have yams on my grocerie list for more bread by popular demand. Talked about it so much at work that now I have to take a loaf in on Monday...LOL Thanks so much for sharing, will be making this frenquently, it's so easy and Delish.... Lee
for dusting the pan and topping
- 2 -3 tablespoons cinnamon sugar, mixture
- 1 cup candied yams, solids
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (Depending on how sweet the candied yams are you may want to add more sugar or use less, just to tast)
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
optional spices (mix into dry ingredients if you crave a spicier yam bread or leave out)
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
mix in options
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a loaf pan and dust with a cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the yams and sugar until smooth.
- Add butter; mix.
- Add eggs; mix.
- Add milk; mix.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Fold in nuts and/or chocolate chips if using.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Sprinkle top with more cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Bake for 60 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan to wire rack to cool completely.