Prep 4 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
Who knew the often tossed rind of your favourite Summer fruit could make delectable candy to enjoy all year 'round? Exotic spice flavour from cardamom and Szechuan peppercorns make these a truly unique sweet treat - perfect to eat out of the jar or use in baking like candied ginger! Adapted from http://www.notquitenigella.com/2012/02/06/slatko-watermelon-rind-jam/. NI includes all the syrup, although you won't eat it all.
- 4 cups watermelon rind, green parts peeled off and remainder diced (23.2 oz prepared)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 cardamom pods
- 6 szechuan peppercorns
- Place watermelon rind in a deep pot and add the sugar.
- Cover and let stand at room temperature overnight (at least 4 hours) to macerate.
- In the morning, bring to a simmer, stirring to thoroughly dissolve the sugar.
- Add the remaining ingredients, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Cubes will be translucent when done.
- Uncover and bring to a boil. Cook for 30 minutes, stirring often, to reduce the syrup to a thick caramel-like liquid.
- While still hot, ladle into sterilized jars and process in a waterbath for 30 minutes (the original calls for turning the jars upside down for a minute to create a seal but to correlate with the US safety guidelines I suggest waterbath canning for shelf-storage. If you’re keeping it in the fridge, skip this part!).