Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Thanksgiving isn't usually celebrated in Israel, but some of us "original" Americans usually get together for an impromptu Thanksgiving dinner the Friday night after the holiday.
- 4 large sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Scrub sweet potatoes well.
- Place 2 cups water in bottom of a large pot.
- Place the sweet potatoes in a vegetable steamer and steam fro 30 minutes or until soft when pricked with a sharp meat fork.
- Remove sweet potatoes and allow them to sit at room temperature until cool enough to handle.
- Remove potato skin.
- While they are cooling, combine the margarine (or butter), sugar, ginger& cranberry sauce in a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Slice sweet potatoes and palce in 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
- Pour glaze over potates and bake 20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
- Note: Sweet potatoes can be prepared up to baking 2 days in advance and refrigerated.
- Add 10 minutes to baking time if they are chilled.
Interesting way to prepare sweet potatoes. Thanks!
Mirj I love these sweet potatoes!! Since I have a hard time peeling sweet potatoes because of my hand and arm I used a 2 1/2 pound can of yams. Drained them and added all the ingredients, simmered until the sauce thickened and the yams were tender. Wonderful sweet flavor with a bit of tart from the cranberries. As the yams cool the sauce thickens and is even more flavorful! If you enjoy sweet potatoes/yams and cranberries you must make this recipe!