Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
From Light and Tasty Magazine...submitted by H. Grant. My family really enjoyed this recipe this past holiday season. Most commented they liked it because it did not have marshmallows and also loved the addition of apple. I think it would be good with a handful of dried cranberries sprinkled on top too.
- Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain.
- In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, apple juice, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside.
- Arrange cooked sweet potatoes and apple slices in an 8-inch square baking dish coated with non-stick spray. (This is where I would add the dried cranberries too).
- Drizzle brown sugar mixture over the potatoes and apples.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees F, for 25 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking for 20-25 minutes longer, basting occasionally with pan juices.
I scaled this back for 3 serves and we thoroughly enjoyed. I used a granny smith apple and as I had cooked by sweet potato a little to much I only did 15 minutes in a 175C fan forced oven which still left the apple a little crisp so it was really nice having that soft sweet taste with a crisp tarty apple. I used the cinnamon and nutmeg but next time I will use just one more than likely the cinnamon as I felt they were competing against one another and the nutmeg was little over strong. Thank you HokiesLady for a delightfull side, made for Went To Market,
Great recipe, the only thing I did differently was take the apples and potatoes and mix them in the glaze before layering them in the dish. Had it with Halibut with an apple/honey glaze, so the house smiled like apples this evening.