Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I find these nuts very addicting. I really love the orange/spice combination. These don't last very long in my house, so I often have to double the recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnut halves
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 pinch of grated nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium size heavy skillet. Heat over medium-high heat to boiling.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until all of the liquid is evaporated and nuts are coated and sugary (approximately 5 minutes).
- Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet; break nuts apart while still warm. Let cool.
OMG! These were so easy! I did not have any oranges to zest, so I just replaced the water with good ol' oj. Even my girls, who don't like nuts, ate this "special candy" that mom made for New Year's Eve.
These are very addicting! I made a few changes just based on the ingredients I had on hand. I omitted the orange zest but added ground all spice. I also added a splash of pure maple syrup. Thanks for posting!
So simple, yet so delicious! I, too, subbed brown sugar and orange juice and used just 1/3 cup of the brown sugar. Still sweet enough and tasty enough to give as a holiday gift. Thanks for sharing.