Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe in a free cookbooklet called "Smucker's Sweet Solutions", from the Smucker's company. I haven't made it yet, but it sounded tasty enough to share on Zaar.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 4 cups salted mixed nuts
- 2⁄3 cup smucker strawberry jelly
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Lightly oil a large stainless steel bowl, place nuts in bowl and set aside.
- Melt the jelly over medium heat in a small saucepan; add the paprika and cumin.
- Cook the mixture to the hard ball stage, or 260 degrees as measured on a candy thermometer; you can test for the hardball stage by dropping a teaspoon of the mixture into a glass of iced water; the mixture will harden instantly.
- Immediately pour the mixture over the nuts and stir with a wooden spoon to evenly coat.
- Allow the mixture to cool for five minutes.
- Once it is cool enough to handle, sprinkle the nuts with the brown sugar coating and stir to combine.
- Let cool completely, then pack into decorative, airtight tins.
- Variation: Use Smucker's Orange Marmalade in place of the strawberry preserves.
Oh no! Even using a candy thermometer to make sure it was "just right" temp, when I poured the hot mixture into the nuts I ended up with one giant glob that was VERY difficult to break up! Maybe, try mixing the nuts as you pour just a small amount at a time into the bowl. Taste is alright, but its certainly not worthy of the party it was intended for!