Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A great little recipe adapted from Southern Living magazine. These are sweet, so you might want to reduce the sugar a little, starting at 1/3 cup.
- 2 cups raw pumpkin seeds (or pecan halves)
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Cook pumpkin seeds in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring often, about 8-10 minutes or till puffed(don't brown). Watch closely so the don't brown. Move to a bowl.
- Combine sugar, brown sugar, paprika and salt. Set aside.
- Toss pumpkin seeds with orange juice. Stir in sugar mixture, tossing to coat. Spread in a single layer on wax paper lined jelly roll pan(or cookie sheet).
- Bake at 350*F. for 6 minutes, stirring once. Cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container up to 2 days.
This is a great recipe! My wife ate them and she doesn't care for pumpkin seeds. I added another 8-10 minutes bake time as the seeds were not cooked enough with only 6 minutes in oven. Will make these again, definitely!
I love pumpkin seeds but these are quite sweet. Others in my family liked them more than I did... I just don't have much of a sweet tooth. I prepared these nuts to go with your delicious Green Salad With Candied Pumpkin Seeds . My stepson thinks they are great though, and was happy to take the leftovers to his room!
These were wonderful! I actually made it in the microwave. I first microwaved them at 70% power for 1-1/2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds. I then added the other sugar mixture and did again for another 2-3 minutes at 70% power (1100 watt microwave). I spread them on the wax paper and came out perfectly. Dh couldn't keep his hands off them. LOL! ;) I used them with Green Salad With Candied Pumpkin Seeds and used pecans instead of pumpkin seeds. Thanks for the great recipe, Sharon123!