Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large mexican cinnamon sticks or 3 regular cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 lb pumpkin or 1⁄2 lb acorn squash, peeled and cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- 1 -2 pint vanilla ice cream
- In medium saucepan combine water, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Bring to a boil and cook until liquid has reduced by about one-quarter and a light syrup forms, about 15 minutes.
- Add pumpkin or squash, reduce heat to very low and simmer gently until the pumpkin is translucent, about 45 minutes.
- If preparing in advance remove the pumpkin from syrup with a slotted spoon and store pumpkin separately.
- When ready to serve, combine the pumpkin and syrup in a small skillet and reheat over low heat.
- Just before serving, stir in the heavy cream.
- Spoon over ice cream and serve.