Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This casserole can be made one day ahead and stored in the refrigerator unbaked.
Make and share this Candied Pecan Sweet Potatoes recipe from Food.com.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup irish cream or 1⁄4 cup orange liqueur or 1⁄4 cup praline liqueur or 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Bake sweet potatoes in a 350º oven on a foil-lined baking sheet about 1-1/4 hours or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, cook and stir pecans, granulated sugar, and the 1 tablespoon margarine or butter in a small heavy skillet over medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until sugar melts and turns golden brown. (Don't overcook).
- Immediately remove from heat and spread nut mixture on a greased baking sheet or foil; separate into clusters. Cool completely and chop into small pieces with a knife; set aside.
- Scoop pulp from baked sweet potatoes into a mixing bowl, discarding peel. Mash by hand or beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Stir in liqueur or milk, the 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Beat until fluffy.
- Spread mixture in a lightly greased 2-quart rectangular baking dish.
- Just before baking, sprinkle with candied pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until heated through.