1/3 Photos of Candied Orange Slices Dipped in Chocolate
2 hrs 30 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
Someone gave us a gift of these delicious orange slices. These tangy oranges and creamy chocolate are an unbeatable combination. They look fancy and colorful, and are easy to make. A Christmas favorite. These do take a while to make but are well worth it. The orange slices are delicious even without the chocolate. Drying time not included in time. NOTE: When cooking the orange slices DO-NOT STIR. If someone is helping you make sure they do not stir just them push down on the orange slices as recipe says. :) I cut the slices in half again after cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut the oranges in half lengthwise, with the cut side down slice the oranges crosswise into 1/4-inch slices, (you will have 1/2 of a slice of orange:DO-NOT peel),discard the ends.
- 2In a 10-inch saute pan combine the water and the 3 1/2 cups of sugar, stir to blend, then bring to a boil over medium heat.
- 3Add the orange slices, separating them, and simmer them gently for 1 hour uncovered; peroidically dunk any floating slices.
- 4Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 5Remove the orange slices, with a slotted spoon and transfer to a cooling rack set over a baking sheet to let drain and dry for 24 hours; NOTE; I dryed them in my oven set for for baked goods, or if oven has a pilot light, this worked great if it is a damp day.
- 6After drying the slices, toss them in the granulated sugar and reserve them, do not stack them as they will stick together.
- 7While you are coating the orange slices with the sugar, have the chocolate melting slowly in the top of a double boiler over 120 degree water: Chocolate can be melted in the microwave.
- 8When all the chocolate is melted and creamy and registers 100 degrees on an instant themometer, remove the top section from the double boiler.
- 9Add the 2-ounce of chocolate and gently stir until the thermometer reads 88 degrees to 91 degree, then remove what remains of the chunk of chocolate.
- 10Now dip the orange slices 2/3 of the way into the chocalate; gently scrape off excess chocolate against the side of the pan.
- 11Place the orange slices on a sheet of wax paper to set.
- 12Work quickly with the slices if the chocolate becomes to thick for dipping, place it over the 120 degree water again until it reaches 88 to 91 degrees.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candied Orange Slices Dipped in Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 (3165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.2
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 26.1 g
- Protein 2.4 g