Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
this is really good on the candy tray..almost the first thing gone
- remove orange peel in about 1/3" strips with a sharp knife, cut into 3" lengths.put in a heavy pan and cover with cold water, bring to a boil and boil 3 minutes.
- Drain and repeat procedure three (3) times in all,discarding the water each time and replacing it with fresh -- drain peel after last boiling and set aside in a bowl.
- Rinse out the pot and combine 2 cups of sugar and syrup. Place over medium heat and cook, stirring till sugar dissolves.
- Add orange peel, turning heat to simmer and cook gently till transparent -- 30 minutes --
- Cool in syrup 45 minutes.
- lift, drain and roll in 1/2 cup granulated sugar, place on waxed paper.
hi Grandma2969, me again, I made you orange peels before Christmas and they went fast....friends and DH wolfed em. I'm making a BIG batch now with orange, lemon, grapefruit, tangerine, and limes. There may be about 2lbs of peels so I just made more syrup with 1/2C local honey added to your recipe. We love these and I'd never had anything like them before...good recipe, I'm keepin this one!!!!
Thanks for posting!!!! Sending pix as soon as I get them downloaded.
Thank you for such a great recipe! DH told me that he had these as a child in Cuba, so I wanted to surprise his mom by making them for her Christmas. She LOVED them!! I sent the rest of the batch home with her. Oh, DH loved them too as well as the kids! Very much worth the effort to make these and brings back so many memories. This is a keeper!
I was juicing oranges for breakfast (just got a brand new juicer) and saw this recipe so decided to give it a try. It's somethng I'd never heard of let alone tried. I was surprised at how much we liked it. Not to much bitterness left in the peel but just enough to be set off by the sugar. Even our littlest angel kept going back for more. I followed the directions exactly and found it simple to make and a really nice surprise in taste - I'll make these again for the holidays. Thanks for posting.