Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe also works well for lemons and grapefruit. These are wonderful dipped in chocolate.
- Wash the oranges.
- Cut into halves and squeeze out the juice.
- Keep the juice and use it for something else.
- Place the oranges into a large saucepan and cover with cold water.
- Place over high heat and heat to a boil.
- Add cold water to cover again.
- Heat to a boil and drain.
- Repeat this process five times in all.
- Drain well and scoop out the pulp.
- Cut the oranges into 1/4 inch wide strips.
- Combine 1 cup of boiling water with 2 cups of the sugar.
- Heat until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the orange strips.
- Place over medium heat and boil for about 30 minutes, until all the liquid is evaporated.
- Watch carefully so the peels don't scorch.
- Roll the strips in the remaining 2 cups of sugar.
- Place on waxed paper to dry.
- Package and store in airtight containers.
Thanks for posting this recipe! I was in need of some candied orange peel for another recipe, so made yours, & it is extremely good! Fortunately there is plenty left for me to try with chocolate, as you suggest. I remember years ago my grandparents used to have orange sticks on hand for when the grandkids came over. Should be especially good dipped in a dark chocolate, I think! Again, many thanks for your recipe!
this is how i do it too thanks for posting dee