Recipe by HoserLauren
I received this recipe from a Cookcrossing journal where friends from around the world enter in their favourite recipes. This one looked delicious!!
Top Review by La Torquemada
These did not come out well. Before the butter was all absorbed they had started to burn. The finished product is also not very attractive, and much less tasty than sugared nuts made with the boiled sugar method.
- 2 cups shelled walnuts (or any combo of nuts!)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shelled pecans
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in 325F oven on a jelly roll pan (or cookie sheet with rims).
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add and beat in salt, then add sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Add vanilla until just blended.
- Fold in nuts and coat them well.
- Spread nuts over melted butter.
- Bake about 30-50 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Make sure they don't stick to the pan, they will burn!
- The nuts are done when they are coated golden brown and no butter remains.