Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 mins
In confectionaries one often sees lemon or lime pies topped with lovely translucent lemon or lime slices. Here's how to make them yourself, and it's so easy! Because of the way the Zaar recipe format works, I only mention "lemons" but you can obviously use this recipe with limes, using 3 or 4, depending on size. Under "Yield", below, I made a wild guess, as number of slices will depend on the size of your lemons or limes!!
- Slice the lemons into thin, neat slices. Discard the end bits, and remove the pips.
- In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, salt and vanilla. Bring to a gentle simmer, stir, and simmer, stirring a few times, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Next to the stove, put down a double thickness of nonstick paper or wax paper.
- Add the lemon slices and bring back to a simmer, until the slices are soft and the skin just turning translucent, but they should not fall apart! (About 5 minutes).
- Remove the slices with a slotted spoon and place on the nonstick or wax paper, and leave to cool.
- Use as a topping for lemon (or lime) pies, or as a cake topping.
- (I am not sure at this stage how long they can be kept as I have not tried keeping them. They should be fine, covered, at room temperature, for a day).