In confectionaries one often sees lemon or lime pies topped with lovely translucent lemon or lime slices. Here's how to make them yourself, and it's so easy! Because of the way the Zaar recipe format works, I only mention "lemons" but you can obviously use this recipe with limes, using 3 or 4, depending on size. Under "Yield", below, I made a wild guess, as number of slices will depend on the size of your lemons or limes!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the lemons into thin, neat slices. Discard the end bits, and remove the pips.
- 2In a saucepan, combine the water, sugar, salt and vanilla. Bring to a gentle simmer, stir, and simmer, stirring a few times, until the sugar has dissolved.
- 3Next to the stove, put down a double thickness of nonstick paper or wax paper.
- 4Add the lemon slices and bring back to a simmer, until the slices are soft and the skin just turning translucent, but they should not fall apart! (About 5 minutes).
- 5Remove the slices with a slotted spoon and place on the nonstick or wax paper, and leave to cool.
- 6Use as a topping for lemon (or lime) pies, or as a cake topping.
- 7(I am not sure at this stage how long they can be kept as I have not tried keeping them. They should be fine, covered, at room temperature, for a day).
Browse Our Top Garnishes Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candied Lemon Slices
Serving Size: 1 (996 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g