Recipe by mollypaul
Setting times are not included in preparation time. From the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel guavas and cut in half; remove seeds.
- Soak in cold water for 30 minutes, wash well.
- Add boiling water and simmer until tender.
- Lift out carefully and place in cold water for 6 hours.
- Drain carefully and simmer for 30 minutes in a heavy syrup made of the sugar and water.
- Keep in syrup until the following day.
- Cook again in syrup until guavas are well coated and juice is very thick.
- Skim from the syrup, drain, spread on a wire rack and allow to dry until no longer sticky.
- Pack between sheets of waxed paper in a tin or a glass jar.