Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
You may get confused when eating this yummy side. Yes! It is a side not a dessert. The flavor of this is so yummy. You have the sweetness from the potatoes, brown sugar, dried cranberries and juice. Yet tanginess from the cranberries & juice. And a nice bite and sweetness from the Ginger. Real Comfort food!This recipe uses my optional Mixed-Herb Compound Butter for Veggies or Meat or your choice and Crystallized Ginger , Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar or store bought. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter (try your favorite compound butter or Recipe #66040) or 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb sweet potatoes or 1 lb yam, sliced
- 1 ounce candied ginger, diced (store bought or Crystallized Ginger , Ginger Syrup & Ginger Sugar)
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In an oven proof 8x8 dish melt butter in dish in the oven.
- Meanwhile mix the remaining ingredients together.
- Place potatoes in a bowl and pour butter over give a toss.
- Layer them in the same pan you should have 2 layers. Pour the mixture over and bake till tender about 40 minutes. Baste with juice mixture half way through.
This was easy and pretty. My Mother made this for Thanksgiving. I don't like sweet potatoes and still don't after this recipe but my Mother said to give it 3 stars she "liked them" and my husband "liked them".
This was the hit of the Thanksgiving table. I had 2 people who don't eat sweet potatoes and they devoured this. I doubled the recipe and made my own candied ginger by peeling and slicing ginger, simmered it in a heavy sugar/water mixture until tender and then tossed with sugar. I then diced it and added it to the recipe. It was a very nice contrast with the cranberries. The whole dish had a jewel like look to it. Thank you.