Cook1 hr 15 mins
A sweet Southern pound cake, with candied ginger and a hint of orange -- This sour cream cake makes a nice crust and tender crumb. For a more robust orange flavor, brush hot cake with an orange syrup or glaze -- or top each serving with orange curd. NOTE: For the orange extract in this cake, try Orange Extract - for Your Homemade Baking Gift Baskets! -- but you'll need to plan ahead by about a week!!!
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 6 eggs (extra large)
- 3 cups flour (sifted, reserve 3 tablespoons to mix with candied ginger)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 teaspoons orange extract (or substitute vanilla ~ 1/2 teaspoon orange oil can also be used)
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup candied ginger (finely minced and mixed with 3 tablespoons flour from above)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time until mixed well.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Alternately add flour and sour cream until combined with egg/butter mixture.
- Add extract and zest to cake batter.
- Gently fold candied ginger mixed with 3 tablespoons flour into cake batter -.
- Pour into large bundt pan, sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes ~ check for doneness ~ cover top of cake with aluminum foil if it is getting too dark!
- Continue baking if necessary ~ check at 5 minute intervals till done. Cake in my photo baked for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- If desired, brush hot cake with an orange juice/sugar syrup to glaze ~.or top each serving with orange curd.
This is a perfectly moist and delicious pound cake. I didn't have the orange extract, so I zested and juiced one orange and reduced, added about 2 TBS. I also glazed with the juice and zest from one orange, 1 inch cube of fresh ginger grated, a tsp of vanilla and powdered sugar. SO GOOD! I used one 6 loaf mini pan and one regular bread pan. The mini loafs took 45 minutes and the full size pan, about an hour.
Yummy times 10x. What a great cake. Made it according to directions. I did brush with a orange glaze, not a icing type, but just a pure orange glaze. I used oj and reduced it with a little sugar, just reduced until it was syrupy and then used that as the glaze. I used everything as suggested. However I did use my mini bundt pan which worked very well, I just had to adapt cooking time. Normally I would of made it in my full bundt, but I made this for 3. It turned out great. Already had a piece. French orange zest, candied ginger are important, don't skimp. You will enjoy it. And you are baking use real sour cream, no NO fat stuff, it is worth it. Great cake! Light, great flavor fresh flavors. Will definitely definitely make again!! Thx for posting