Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
A sweet Southern pound cake, with candied ginger and a hint of orange -- This sour cream cake makes a nice crust and tender crumb. For a more robust orange flavor, brush hot cake with an orange syrup or glaze -- or top each serving with orange curd. NOTE: For the orange extract in this cake, try Orange Extract - for Your Homemade Baking Gift Baskets! -- but you'll need to plan ahead by about a week!!!
Top Review by hlandherr
This is a perfectly moist and delicious pound cake. I didn't have the orange extract, so I zested and juiced one orange and reduced, added about 2 TBS. I also glazed with the juice and zest from one orange, 1 inch cube of fresh ginger grated, a tsp of vanilla and powdered sugar. SO GOOD! I used one 6 loaf mini pan and one regular bread pan. The mini loafs took 45 minutes and the full size pan, about an hour.
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 6 eggs (extra large)
- 3 cups flour (sifted, reserve 3 tablespoons to mix with candied ginger)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 teaspoons orange extract (or substitute vanilla ~ 1/2 teaspoon orange oil can also be used)
- 1 -2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup candied ginger (finely minced and mixed with 3 tablespoons flour from above)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time until mixed well.
- Combine flour, soda, and salt.
- Alternately add flour and sour cream until combined with egg/butter mixture.
- Add extract and zest to cake batter.
- Gently fold candied ginger mixed with 3 tablespoons flour into cake batter -.
- Pour into large bundt pan, sprayed with baking spray.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour and 10 minutes ~ check for doneness ~ cover top of cake with aluminum foil if it is getting too dark!
- Continue baking if necessary ~ check at 5 minute intervals till done. Cake in my photo baked for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- If desired, brush hot cake with an orange juice/sugar syrup to glaze ~.or top each serving with orange curd.