Prep 45 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Absolutely delicious soft flavorful cookies!
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3⁄4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable shortening or 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup molasses
- raw sugar
- combine first 5 ingredients
- mix in crystallized ginger.
- in another bowl mix brown sugar, shortening, and butter with electric mixer until fluffy.
- add egg and molasses and beat until blended.
- combine flour mixture and mix until just blended.
- cover and refridgerate at least 1 hour.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- form dough into balls and dip in raw sugar.
- place on cookie sheets with room to spread.
- bake 10-12 minutes, until cracked on top but still soft.