I found this at cdkitchen.com and it looked so easy I had to try it.. I will never buy candied ginger again.. this was outstanding. And I can't wait to try the syrup in some tea.
- Peel ginger and slice into rounds about 1/8 inch thick.
- Mix sugar and water in a large sauce pan and bring to boil.
- When sugar is disolved, add ginger and boil for 45 minutes.
- Ginger should be sweet and tender.
- Drain ginger and reserve liquid.
- Place ginger on rack to dry for 30 minutes.
- Toss with sugar to coat.
- Let dry on wax paper.
- Store in airtight container.
- Boil reserved liquid until reduced to a syrup with consistency between maple syrup and honey. (mine was that way after the 45 minutes with the ginger in it.
- Sugar will crystalize, but just and a little water and boil.
- Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Syrup can be used for waffles, icecream, tea, Or whereever you use syrup.