Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
I found this recipe and have put it here for safekeeping. I love candied ginger and can hardly wait to use it making this bread! Adapted from Bread World. They say the taste of the bread resembles marmalade and all you need is a little butter to enhance the flavors!
- In large bowl, combine 3 cups all-purpose white flour, undissolved yeast, lemon zest, and salt.
- Heat the milk, water, honey, and oil until very warm (120º to 130º F). Stir into dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in the whole wheat flour and enough remaining all-purpose white flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Gently knead in the candied ginger. Cover and let rest on a floured surface for 10 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Divide into 6 equal pieces. Form each into a smooth ball. Grease 2 (8 X 4-inch) loaf pans. Place three balls in each pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 45 to 60 minutes.
- Bake at 375º for 45 minutes or until done, covering with foil during the last 15-20 minutes to prevent overly browning. Remove from pans; let cool on wire racks. Enjoy!
If you like ginger, you will like this bread. I made one loaf and mixed it in my bread machine. I added a little of the ginger at the beginning, hoping that the action of the machine would pulverize it and distribute it through the dough, and I think that worked. I added the rest towards the end of the dough cycle. I think next time I would use just a bit more all-purpose flour vs whole wheat, and I would add just a little more honey. It tasted very good, and disappeared pretty fast this morning at work.