Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
One more cooky recipe from the old Swedish church cookbook. This book was published in the 1940's. Heirloom recipes....
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 cup assorted candied fruit
- Cream shortening with sugar until fluffy.
- Blend in unbeaten egg.
- Sift flour with salt and baking powder.
- Add vanilla to milk and add to creamed ingredients alternately with flour.
- Cut candied fruits fine and add to mixture.
- Drop on greased baking sheet.
- Top each cookie with half candied cherry.
- Bake in a moderate oven -- (375 degrees) for about 10 minutes.
I changed the recipe a little instead of shortening i used real butter! I doubled the recipe,and i didnt like the first batch so i added 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg. That made them taste more like Christmas! over all it's just really a sugar cookie recipe with the candied fruit...try with the nutmeg it's pretty good!
Really great simple and delish cookies. I made them exactly as called for.. the best and I'll be making them every year!