Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty little candy with a gorgeous presentation, not difficult to make. Some ideas for edible flowers: rose, pansy, sunflower, basil, honeysuckle, lavender, violets. This recipe can also be used for fruits and roots (apples, carrots, parsnips, pears...)
- 1 1⁄2 cups rose water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh edible flower, petals (unsprayed, EDIBLE flowers...make sure you know it's not harmful for human consumption!)
- Wash the flowers gently in cool water, and drain on paper towels.
- Trim off the white tips that attatch the petals to the stem.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine rose water and sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Submerge the flowers in the syrup and stir.
- Return to a boil then reduce heat to a gentle boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- As soon as sugar begins to caramelize (it will turn light brown), remove pan from heat.
- Remove the flowers and set them on waxed paper.
- Refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Peel candies off waxed paper and store them in an air-tight container.