Recipe by Rita~
You will need 1 Thin artist's paintbrush. Make a masterpiece by simply garnishing a plain cake with candies flowers or add these to a cup of tea or a cocktail. They can be stored in an airtight container and put in the freezer for up to a year. Use flavored vodka like cherry, strawberry, raspberry whatever you choose. For info on Edible flowers do check out this cookbook http://www.recipezaar.com/cookbook.php?bookid=27685
- 1 egg white (please use powdered egg whites to avoid salmonella)
- 3 -6 drops 100 proof vodka, flavored (optional)
- superfine sugar (caster)
- petals violets, begonias, pansies, Johnny-jump-ups, rose petals, lilac, borage, pea, pinks, scented geraniums (Amout depends on size of flowers can be between 30-90 petals)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites until frothy. Add a couple of drops of vodka to help the flowers dry quicker.
- Using fresh picked flowers, paint each flower individually with beaten egg white using the artist's paintbrush.
- When thoroughly coated, sprinkle with fine sugar and place on the wire rack to dry. Flowers are completely dry when stiff and brittle to the touch.
- They should be free of moisture. This could take 12 to 36 hours, depending on humidity. To hasten drying, you may place the candied flowers in an oven with a pilot light overnight, or in an oven set at 150 degrees to 200 degrees F with the door ajar for a few hours.
- Store the dried, candied flowers in airtight containers until ready to use. They will keep for as long as a year.