1/1 Photo of Candied Cucumber Rings (Great Use for Oversized Cucumbers)
h jones's Note:
This is a great way to use the surplus of oversized cucumbers. They are a great change that tastes NOTHING like a cucumber. No one will believe it when you say they are cucumbers rather your guests will think they ate great, crispy, RED, hot, cinnamony apples. The oversized cucumbers are the best because they have thicker walls and hold good ringed shapes. It sounds like a huge amount to work to read the directions by it is mostly just sitting time and they are GOOD.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remember to use a non reactive cooking pot when doing this recipe. The metal will react with the lime and turn everything BLACK.
- 2Combine cucumber rings, lime and 8 1/2 quarts of water in large container; let stand for 24 hours.
- 3Drain, then rinse in clear water. Cover with water; let stand 3 hours; then drain.
- 4Place cucumbers in large kettle; add 1 cup vinegar, food coloring, alum, and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 2 hours and drain.
- 5Combine remaining 2 cups vinegar, 2 cups water, sugar, cinnamon and candy in large saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar in dissolved. Pour over cucumbers; let stand 24 hours.
- 6Drain, reserving syrup. Bring syrup to a boil; pour over cucumbers. Let stand for 24 hours.
- 7Drain, reserving syrup. Bring syrup to a boil; pour over cucumbers. Let stand for 24 hours. *This is the last day of soaking.
- 8After last day of soaking then heat syrup and cucumbers. Pack into hot sterilized jars, covering cucumbers with syrup, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Cover with sterilized lids and bands screwing bands tight.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Candied Cucumber Rings (Great Use for Oversized Cucumbers)
Serving Size: 1 (6003 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 4180.2
- Calories from Fat 16
- Total Fat 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 49.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1059.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 1025.5 g
- Protein 10.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red cinnamon candies